Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Monday November 23 – Thirty-two Days to Christmas – How Many to Rehab?

It is really difficult to get Tara up this morning – she is tired. Her head hurts, her tummy is upset and she is cold. Her temperature was normal. I tired not to rush her and suggest that she could sleep in for another half-hour and be just a little late for school. She agrees.

She fell asleep in the car on the way home last night. She is tired now. Quinn, my usual sleepy-head, is up and ready to go.

I start thinking of a plan B, if she is really sick. I pack up the air mattress and sleeping bag and put them in the car. I figure that if she really feels unwell, then I will want to keep an eye on her, so I would pack her up and take her to work with me and she could rest the day away in my office. She is not thrilled with this idea. After 20 minutes, she forces herself to get up and starts to feel better.

During breakfast, she shows me her ‘Chicken Soup’ book. It’s half read. She says “I want to show the best story that I read so far in this book.”

The story is called ‘An Angel in Disguise’. It’s written by a fifteen year old girl, Megan, whose Mother was befriended by a gentleman. Megan is suspicious of the gentleman intentions, since her own father had left the family when she was young. The man, Daemon, tried very hard to win her over and finally after many months, they became friends. She went on to describe some of the good times they spent together. Which included raising a calf together and buying a horse.

Then one day, Daemon, collapsed from a brain aneurysm. He survived but with significant disabilities. He died seven months later after a lot of suffering. Megan regretted not telling Daemon that she loved him and wished she had the chance to do it before he died.

She closes her short story with the advice to live every day to the fullest because you don’t know what life might bring.

This certainly sheds a little light on Tara’s mindset lately.

I decide that I will talk to you about Tara’s health concerns and figure out a way to spend a little quality one on one time with both Tara and Quinn on a regular basis. I think the novelty of going to friend’s houses after school, is starting to wear thin. On Sunday, you asked them what they did at home and they replied, with a hint of irritation in their voice, that they were hardly ever home.

Rod Carew has your cell phone number, and the only reason he has your number is because I lost my cell phone and I’ve been using yours instead. I guess this is proof that things always happen for a good reason. I have always been very bad at leaving my cell phone turned off when I’m not on call and as a result I miss calls. I was quite annoyed at myself for losing my phone … until now. Now, I can see the silver lining. Your hero has your phone number. I’m glad he has your number because you are very good with keeping your phone on and charged.

You are flirting with the nurses. Laura, your day nurse for the last few days, has bantered back and forth with you. You want to know her favorite movie and try to persuade her to scratch you back. She takes it all in stride. I don’t mind … because I still get to take you home when this is all done … and I get to do your laundry. I still feel special.

When I pick up the children they are starting to count down the days to Christmas. Aurgh-h-h – I never liked the Christmas count down. The count down starts far too early. On the drive home Quinn is calculating the days to Christmas. “There are seven days in November and 25 days in December until Christmas that means there are 32 days left!” He says excitedly.

The children are counting the days to Christmas and you and I are counting the days to rehab.

I find the days are going by far too fast and yet, at times, it seems like we’ll never get to rehab. Tomorrow, I hope to talk to Ainsley and Kristin. Ainsley is going to discuss the spatial perception tests that she did and Kristin will, hopefully, have some information on the path to rehab.

No matter how fast you progress, I doubt you will be able to come home for Christmas.

I share with the children these thoughts and that I wished that Christmas wouldn’t come so soon. If we could delay Christmas, maybe you would be home for it. Quinn is concerned that you won’t get to rehab. Both the children are worried about what would happen if rehab is a no go. I assure them that you will get to rehab and I will find out about rehab this week. Tara makes me promise to tell them as soon as I know anything about rehab.

Once we know about rehab, then we will know more about how our Christmas family time will look like.

Tara’s feet are sore tonight. She feels she can hardly walk. She moves about on the floor on her knees. I suggest that if she eats dinner, I would get a footbath set up for her. She doesn’t seem any better after the soak. She goes to sleep with sore feet.

Is there no end to the symptoms that she displays?

After dinner, instead of bedtime stories, Quinn wants to work on his letter to Santa Claus. “I think, the only thing I want is an ipod.” He says. Gosh, I wish you were here to help head off this decision. “An ipod eh” I say cautiously, ”I don’t know about an ipod. It seems to me there is a Santa age regulation rule for ipods. I believe it states that you have to be older then 13 for an ipod, like your cousin, Neeson.” Quinn’s face fell. He wants to play games on it.

To date, we have managed to avoid the video game pastime. I think they are a little too seductive to a young mind. There are so many more interesting and healthier things to do. Still, it’s hard seeing Quinn’s only request smashed down like that. I suggest we wait on mailing the letter and think about other ideas. And I promised that I’d talk to you, since you have worked with Santa the last few years. I suggest that you might have some pull with the little guy and he may inspire other ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Have 2 Christmas's - every child's dream, one in 30 days and then a great big smashing food filled fun filled welcome home christmas party. Terry G

    ReplyDelete