Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thursday October 29 and 30 – I Was Away But You Came Home.

I’m in Milton, Ontario for the meeting – I’m up early and write to occupy my mind.
When I catch up in the journal, I feel that I’m on top of things and ready to take on the new day.

Meeting was good with some useful info – glad I went but the timing sucked.

Got a phone call from you on Thurs afternoon in the middle of the meeting. I loved to hear your voice – the timing was great!

It didn’t sound like you – the weakness of your voice is exaggerated over the phone. You were worried about me and asked to call. Fran and Juanita were with you and arranged the call. It made my day to talk to you.

On the way home on the plane - I half-watched half a movie on the plane – that’s the first TV I watched since your stroke.

Whether you were brought back to us by, the Divine energy of God via the power of prayer or it was just string of crazy good fortune, I don’t know how we could ever pay back our gratitude. Instead the idea of ‘paying it forward’ comes to mind.

’Pay it Forward’ was a movie we saw when we were in Boston one evening with the children. You and I both cried. It is story of a boy, 12-year-old Trevor, who believed in the goodness of human nature. Like many other kids, he was determined to change the world for the better. Trevor was assigned to come up with some idea that will improve mankind. He decides that if he can do three good deeds for someone and they in turn can "pay it forward" and so forth, positive changes can occur. It’s a very inspiring story with a twist in the end that is very emotional.

I think you would appreciate the gesture of me registering for bone marrow. Not only is a ‘pay it forward’ type of thing to do but Rod Carew’s daughter, Michelle, who died in 1996 at the age of 18 years, was in need of a rare tissue bone marrow type to treat her rare form of leukemia. A donor was never found. I remember at the time you were feeling Rod’s pain and sorrow at not being able to help his child.

The only unfortunate thing is that the registry is for age 17-50 years. So I will only be on the list for a few years. Hopefully, in a few years the idea of a non-related donor will be made obsolete by autogenous stem cell therapy (Replacement of stem cell form yourself.) Although this may not work for some diseases, like cancer. You can find the registry at: http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/E_ubmdrPKG-intro?opendocument&CloseMenu

I called the children from the airport and said I would home later tonight and I’ll see them in the morning. Tara sounds happy to hear my voice. Quinn sounds excited. “It’s the 29th today!” I have to think - why is the 29th important? Quinn answers before I can form the question in my head. “It’s only two more days before Halloween!” He explains. Quinn seems to be all right.

When this journey began, I was carried away in the whirlwind of emotion that I never felt before. I was spinning. I didn’t know how to stop except to let the natural laws of the world eventually carried me to a place where I could find my way back home.

Our friends and family were our first responders to our crisis. They held us and cried with us, gave us words of hope to inspire strength within us to continue. So many people found their own special way to help us get to where we are today.

The other day – the day I learned of Dad’s cancer - Uncle John (who help us on the first day and night of your marathon) called and asked after your condition. I told him that you were getting better each day and would make to best recovery that you could possibly do. I also told him of Dad’s health.

Uncle John (who lives in England) said that he was extremely impressed with the outpouring of support for us at the darkest time of our lives. Your parents were also extremely touched with the love they felt from your well-wishers.

This is not the kind of response we would have gotten if we lived in a big community. We are so blessed with wonderful people about us.

Friday October 30

Quinn slept in your bed the hole night in his bed. That is 62 days of being in our bed and now he has ventured into his own sleeping nest. His courage is there.

It’s a very busy day at the veterinary hospital. Melissa who is pregnant with twins is ill. So, I’m double booked all day. There is no time to wallow in sorrow. It’s just go, go, go.

I got a phone call from the Halifax Infirmary at 12:30pm, saying that you have been transferred to the Colchester Hospital because the Halifax Infirmary (HI) needs the bed, and there is no space at the Rehab hospital. I’m worried about this and because I was away Thursday, I don’t know the results of the MRI yet. More importantly, I don’t know the current thought behind your pain. Is the problem actually in your hip and back or is it ‘in your head’?

After work, I pick up the children from Karen’s and head to the Colchester Hospital. Room 411. You are in a single room. At present, it is devoid of many things that would make it homey for you. The staff, at the HI, assured me that they would pack up your things and put them aside for me to pick up. Marsha worked at the hospital today. She called to ask if she could pick up your things for us.

You told me, in a frustrated tone, about your MRI. It took a long time, you said. You felt that the staff was quite rude. You were frustrated. You said they kept you waiting for “over 3 or 4 hours.” You felt that you were given the ‘run around’. I guess they won’t be invited to your party!

Your lack of sense of time upsets you. Time seems to pass by in a very slow way. Visitors would be appreciated to help define your minutes, hours and days.

The Colchester Hospital treats you as a possible MRSA patient until proven otherwise. It may take a few days for the test to come back” the night nurse says…until then precautions must be observed.

You and Quinn have a good talk. You ask him about his teacher, gymnastics and who is his best friend? “Luke” Quinn says. “What does Luke like? Does he have a girlfriend?” You inquire. Quinn giggles at the thought of a girl friend.

Tara is still a little under the weather with a cough. She wants to be with you but she is worried that she might make you ill. She patiently dons a mask even though it’s harder to breath with the mask on.

You are still obsessed with the idea of having a drink that is not very thickened. Coke, Chocolate milk even the flavoured water would be a good choice, you advise me.

I’m glad you are almost home.

No comments:

Post a Comment