Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tuesday March 9 - Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Jeff came by the house tonight to size up the job that we need to do on the staircase going from the dining area to the living room. It’s not a big job and it might be the only house construction job that we need to do except install more hand rails and grab bars.

I am relieved that he will be able to do it. That removes a small load. Not I have to wait to figure out the bigger part of your needs. Stair lifts and homecare. At least the stair lifts are a one-time expense but the home care will be on going and we will have to budget carefully for this.

Lately, you have been distressed at the mention of the phrase ’24 hour supervision’. You don’t want to be baby-sat and I don’t want a glorified housekeeper. We need some one or a couple of ‘some ones’ who are able to work with you while I’m at work, getting kids, groceries etc. We need them to help you with your therapies not make meals or do house cleaning. We need therapy assistants not baby sitters.

Tomorrow I hope to find out what the plan for home care is.

My call to you is brief. You were on the phone earlier and I’m on call tonight. “Who were you talking to?” I asked. “Kevin! He is going to walk with me in the Cobequid 10 km Race in August!” The thought of this choked me up, I manage to spit out the words “That would be amazing.”

I am ashamed to say that my realistic mind kicked into gear and made me say cautiously: “If not the race this year, then maybe maybe next year. We have a long way to go before you can do 10 km.” I didn’t want failure to crush you. But iI smile at the thought of this accomplishment. It would be amazing if you could walk in the same race that you ran in last year. Even if it takes you a long time. The taste of victory would be so sweet.

This is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Tomorrow, Quinn is off with his class to the Sugar Moon Farm, a maple sugar operation. He has been counting the days for a few weeks now. Tonight an email from Quinn’s teacher arrives to remind the parents of the event – as if our children . At the bottom of Quinn’ teacher’s email was the phrase:

"When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
~Author Unknown

I am continuously amazed how the ‘signs’ keep coming. I seem to find little nuggets of hope in all sorts of unsuspecting places.

I have a feeling that I’m going to be using this quote a lot in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment